pumpkin squares


These are one of my favorite things about fall. To me, a necessary part of fall is curling up in front the fire with a good book while the rain pours down outside and sipping hot apple cider and eating pumpkin squares, fresh from the oven. So I'm super sad that we don't have a fireplace here, I miss lying in front of the hearth and listening to the logs crackle and my mom reading aloud. But we can't have everything, and I'm learning to be content. And for now, I can very easily have pumpkin squares and apple cider and books and rain.
So here is one of my all time favorite recipes. Can you guess where it's from? Simply in Season. They're not paying me to advertise. Promise.


Pumpkin Squares 
(in the book they're Winter Squash Bars but we've never called them that)

2 cups winter squash or pumpkin - cooked and pureed
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
Beat together in a mixing bowl.

1 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour  (to make it gluten free used 2 cups rice flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Mix in. Pour into lightly greased 11 x 17-inch / 28 x 43-cm jelly roll pan (we use a 9 x 13 baking dish). Bake in a preheated oven at 350F / 180C for 25-30 minutes.
Best eaten with hot apple cider. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts