2014


Looking back, 2014 has been a year of peace and of root-growing. I've watched friends and family go through hard stuff, but this year it has been my privilege to be better placed to love and help them. I have had my share of painful things this year, of course, but when I look back on them, they don’t seem to be very important. 2013 held a lot of pain, 2014 brought healing, and 2015 will be born tonight. 

This last year, I ran into the windstorm on the beach with A and leaned into the wind, letting it play with our hair as it played with the waves. I lay in bed at snow camp in the Cascades, whispering with J deep into the night. I watched the Olympics catch fire over the water one evening with our loved ones from France. I paused on the ridges of many mountains before slipping down their white slopes. On the first day of spring classes I kayaked on the lake and lay out on the fresh grass. I stayed up late the night before Easter, sewing. I hiked with my friends on a warm spring day. In May we sailed to Sucia with the Ferndale Camp and built a bonfire with A in the golden last light of the day. I watched my cousin marry her man on the front lawn of the farmhouse where we’ve spent our summers every year of our lives. I sailed home through the islands with my family and watched as the earth turned orange and pink and blue. I drove out to the beach and ate seafood. I drank up a lot of lasts with my friends before they left for the world. I ate a lot of frozen yoghurt last summer. I spent ten days in the Alps with friends turned family forever and watched five of my favorite children in the world. I walked laps on a soccer field holding a tiny baby, singing to her as I watched the peaks of the mountains catch fire. I picked blueberries of my grandpa’s bushes with my cousins. I hiked on two continents this year. I tried to catch the light in our living room a million times. I watched many sunsets over the water. I stood on the Troll and visited six colleges. Lou and I drove to Bellingham and made life plans. We drove down Chuckanut drive in the dappled afternoon sunshine and hiked at Larrabee State Park. We filled our home with people. I made good use of my whirlypop popcorn pot. I learned a lot about people this year, especially about my friends and my family. Again, I can look back and say I learned more about loving. I became a bolder, wiser, and I hope, kinder person.

2015 will be born tonight. I don’t know what it holds (I never do). College, most likely. There are a few trips planned and a few more I hope will happen and a few more I know nothing about. New friends, old friends, dear friends all. My first year lived completely as an adult. A year lived standing in the light, rooted firmly in the word of God. A new year, bringing with it new hope and the promise of the goodness of God.

“…you know the time, that the hour has come for you to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed. The night is far gone; the day is at hand. So then let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light.”
Romans 12:11&12

Happy New Year. May 2015 be more full of joy for you than 2014 was and may it bless you and give you peace.





Comments

Popular Posts