On His Heavenly Throne

Though my heart may be in pieces,
My eyes are still set on you...
We don't get to be here long.
needtobreathe



When was the last time that you wept at the thought that Jesus died for your sins? When was the last time that the weight of that brought you to tears? I realize that I don't know the answer as the question from our sermon turns over in my mind. 

I've wept more than I would have expected to this summer, but emotions are unexpected anyway. Joy and grief in overwhelming floods. And I use the word "weep" carefully, not because I am afraid of it, but because it carries weight.

This summer has been a summer of great joy. I can't tell you how much it meant to me. It was, in light of many previously dashed hopes and closed doors, as if God had opened a giant portcullis and trumpeted me through. I was given the best job I've ever had, that poured into almost every corner of my life. I got to be the camp nurse at one of the most beautiful places on earth. 1000 acres in the Cascade Mountains with the purpose of bringing glory to God and building His kingdom. My road to camp was unexpected, but I knew, overwhelmingly, exactly what the Lord had planned for me. I can't begin to accurately describe it. Working at camp is an experience that has to be lived. So I was told before I left, disbelieving, and so I tell you now, fully convinced. People are capable of so much kindness and courage, joy and patience, by the grace of God. I drove away from camp with a massive scar on my knee, a filthy car, and the ugliest shade of purple on my fingernails. It was the best summer of my life, just as Pastor Russ predicted.

As good as this summer was, it was still a piece of a sinful earth. I've spent a number of long car drives and warm lakeside nights grieving, asking God what on earth He was thinking. How could He let this happen? Why wasn't He running things differently? Acts 1 reminds me. He was seated on His heavenly throne. He knew, and weeps with me. He was there. He is with me still as I navigate a season where my heart is still hurting. It is very full from a summer that has pushed me and stretched me and overwhelmed me with love, but it is a heart that would be completely shattered if not for Jesus, who gave Himself up to my sin so that He could come put the pieces back together. 

He died for me, a sinner. That is worth weeping for. 

He is trumpeting me through even now, calling me homeward, heart full of exhortation to keep my eyes on Him until the day He comes for me. 

This life, a gift, despite my broken, healing heart. He is seated on His throne in heaven.

Comments

Popular Posts